Under the general supervision of the Cemetery Sexton, acts as receptionist for the City Cemeteries. Independently performs a wide variety of responsible and confidential receptionist and clerical duties in support of cemetery sexton. Collects data, exchanges information, answers phone, and greets and screens visitors. Assists customers in the selection and purchase of burial lots.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Assists the Sexton with customer service duties.
a. Serves as receptionist at the city cemeteries, ascertaining the nature of their business, and assisting them in obtaining all requested information or referring them to appropriate individuals in the City.
b. Meets and deals with the public both in person and over the phone to provide information, resolve complaints, and fulfill requests. Uses public relations skills in handling complaint calls and routing calls to proper department for assistance.
c. Assists customers in the selection and purchase of burial lots.
2. Devises and adapts improved work methods and procedures to accomplish work assignments as appropriate.
3. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/ Working Conditions
Normal office environment. Handling of light weights and pleasant working conditions with little or no exposure to hazards. May be exposed to discomfort associated with constant answering of telephones. Frequent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior, human error, work deadlines, and the demands of multiple projects.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent
Experience: One (1) year experience performing similar duties to those required in this position. Previous work experience involving customer service and dealing with persons from diverse backgrounds required. Previous work experience with use of personal computers preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Personal computers.
• Modern office terminology and procedures, telephone techniques, and time management skills.
• Human relations and communications and organizational skills.
• Letter composition, grammar, and punctuation.
• Customer service, problem solving, and effective, active listening.
• Computer skills sufficient to use cemetery management software, send correspondence, and complete reports.
• Assist with maintenance of burial lot maps and complete required recordkeeping.
• Communicate effectively with those contacted in the scope of work, including employees of funeral homes and monument companies, families at time of emotional distress, and the general public.
• Assist crews in determining most efficient method of performing assigned work.
• Serve the public.
• Learn word processing and spreadsheet applications.
• Demonstrate tact and discretion in preparing, disclosing, and handling information of a confidential, controversial and sensitive nature.
• Establish work priorities and remain flexible.
• Meet established deadlines.
• Efficiently respond in a calm and effective manner to a variety of demands and projects.
• Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Coordinate information, arrangements, and correspondence with minimal review.
• Communicate clearly and distinctly with visitors and telephone callers.
• Provide courteous information and service to the public and city staff.
• Type accurately at a speed necessary for completing documents as needed.
• Work independently and make sound decisions.
• Move within an office, including stooping and reaching to retrieve or replace files.
• Operate a copy machine, calculator, telephone, and to write legibly.
• Remain calm in difficult situations and maintain mental alertness and stamina to perform routine duties for long periods.
• Follow through with assignments with minimal supervision.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position closes 09/25/2020 12:00 AM. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.