SCADA Technician Starting Salary: $64,985/year
Individuals hired in this position have the opportunity to progress up to $97,477/year, which is the maximum salary for this position as of December 2018.
Under the supervision of the SCADA Supervisor, operates and maintains the City of St. George Energy Services Department’s Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition system (SCADA) and Communication Network.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Programs new system and adds to existing SCADA system. Maintains communications for all SCADA systems.
2. Installs SCADA system into new Energy Services installations with power and control to all equipment and add new components to the data base.
3. Maintains load management capacitor system. Repairs and maintains radio controllers operated with SCADA system.
4. Assists supervisor with special projects and designs.
5. Prepares and submits work progress reports.
6. Assists supervisor in preparation and monitoring of SCADA budget, and makes budget recommendations.
7. Performs regular preventative maintenance and upgrades, including the following:
a. Maintains and checks RTUs, transducers, and wiring for SCADA circuits and related equipment.
b. Maintains and checks SCADA communication systems. Maintains and checks master system hardware, switches, routers and servers.
c. Keeps SCADA data files, records and backups.
d. Maintains and checks SCADA system in all UAMPS substations.
e. Install and test fiber optic communication system.
8. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Moderately heavy physical activity required to push, pull, or lift weights up to 50 pounds. Required to sit, walk, talk, or hear; use hands to finger to manipulate, handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Considerable exposure to elements such as heat, cold, dampness, fumes, noise, dust, or grease. Vision is required to perform and monitor essential functions and to complete data entry. Risk of bodily injury is moderate under normal conditions. Occupational safety and health hazards may be encountered under controlled conditions. Occasional exposure to stress as a result of human behavior. Must attend additional training for working in and around high voltage substations monthly or as required.
Note: Employees in this classification are required to be on periodic standby and/or respond to emergencies.
Education: Four (4) years of college with emphasis in math and technology or Licenses/Certifications listed below.
Experience: Three (3) years of experience in industrial electrical and control, plc and telemetry systems. Has experience with the setup and proper configuration of network switches and routers.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
• Must possess a valid driver license. A valid CDL Utah Driver License must be obtained within 60 days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
• Master/Journey Electrician License/Certification or NERC Certified Operator
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Has an understanding of the different communication protocols, DNP 3, mod bus, both serial and TCP/IP. Be familiar with Linux and industrial computer D.C.S. systems.
• Must have knowledge of safety requirement working in and around High Voltage.
• Industrial electrical/electronic wiring systems and communication protocols.
• OSHA, NESC, NEC and APPA safety requirements.
• NERC and Other Federal Regulations
• Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relations with supervisors, co-workers, the public, officials and employees of other jurisdictions.
• Able to perform under stress. Able to remain calm under pressure of emergency outages.
• Use personal computers, including word processing, spreadsheet, and specialized software; radio; telephone; and other equipment pertaining to this position.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position closes 08/25/2019 05:00 PM. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.