Position Summary – Lifeguard I or II
Under the supervision of the Aquatics Manager, ensures patron safety and protection of lives at the City of St. George swimming facilities.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Prevents injuries by minimizing or eliminating hazardous situations or behaviors.
2. Ensures safety of staff and patrons at all times.
3. Enforces facility rules and regulations.
4. Recognizes and responds calmly, quickly and effectively to all emergencies, to your level of training.
5. Administers first aid, ventilations, and/or CPR using rescue equipment.
6. Alerts, in a safe manner, other life guards, facility staff, and management when more help or rescue equipment is needed.
7. Completes records and reports as required.
8. Performs maintenance and other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
9. Inspects facility daily and reports any unsafe conditions or equipment to supervisor.
10. Works in special events as assigned.
11. Performs other related duties as required.
12. Organizes aerobic equipment.
13. Administers swim test to patrons.
14. Attends monthly meetings with management and staff.
15. Wears appropriate uniform during assigned shift.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Conditions and temperatures may vary depending on the assignment. Must be able to respond quickly and appropriately to emergencies. Moderately heavy physical activity required to push, pull, or lift 20-60 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently. Moderate exposure to elements such as heat, cold, dampness, noise, dust, chemicals, and fumes. Moderate risk of bodily injury under normal conditions. Intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Note: Often works irregular hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays. Emergency call-back may be required in this position. Individuals in this position must wear suitable attire, which for females mandates an athletic one piece suit, for males mandates suitable swim trunks. This is a part-time position with variable hours averaging 28 or less hours per week over a period of twelve months
Qualifications - Lifeguard I and II
• American Red Cross Lifeguard certification must be obtained within 60 days of hire and maintained throughout employment. Certification will need to be obtained before the employee can be scheduled to work as a lifeguard. (Employee will not be compensated for time spent obtaining certification.)
• American Red Cross Professional Rescuer First Aid/CPR/AED certification must be obtained within 60 days of hire and maintained throughout employment. Certification will need to be obtained before the employee can be scheduled to work.(Employee will not be compensated for time spent obtaining certification.)
Lifeguard II - Licenses
• Possess a valid driver license. A valid Utah Driver License must be obtained within 60 days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Facilities’ rules and regulations.
• Facilities’ Emergency Action Plan.
• Highly motivated.
• Customer service oriented and excellent public relations skills.
• Administering first aid, ventilations, and CPR using rescue equipment.
• Perform all American Red Cross rescues and skills.
• Show professionalism at all times.
• Report and discuss all safety and facility issues with supervisor.
• Perform maintenance or other tasks assigned by management.
• Close and open cash tills and perform shift register count-outs.
• Respond quickly and effectively to all emergencies, situations, and behaviors.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position closes 10/17/2019 12:00 AM. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.