Under the direction of the City of St. George Recreation Coordinator, interacts with community members through organizing and teaching bouldering, mountain biking, kayaking, paddleboarding, canoeing, and day hiking classes, clinics, and competitions.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Leads youth and adults on excursions bouldering, mountain biking, kayaking, paddleboarding, kayaking, and hiking.
2. Teaches the necessary technical skills necessary for bouldering, mountain biking, kayaking, paddleboarding, kayaking, and hiking.
3. Helps coordinate all logistics of classes including setup, teaching, and cleanup all while following proper safety protocol.
4. Provides customer service to all community members and participants.
5. Assists in the sale and promotion of programs, classes, and competitions as well as other City programs.
6. Completes sportsman data and prepares data to check in and keep class attendance records.
7. Assists in the coordination of program times and scheduling and preparing necessary vehicles and supplies with the Recreation Specialists and Recreation Coordinators in the division.
8. Develops and maintains excellent working relationships with Desert Rat, and the local schools to promote outdoor programs within the community.
9. Prepares written reports for submission to Recreation Coordinator.
10. Stays current with industry teaching developments and incorporates them into teaching.
11. Helps maintain clean and safe facility and equipment.
12. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Conditions and temperatures may vary depending on the outdoor assignment. Requires the use of vision and/or hearing to identify and evaluate emergencies. Must be able to physically respond quickly and appropriately to emergencies. Requires moderately heavy physical activity exerting 20-50 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently. Mental demands of intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Note: Individuals in this position must be able to work nights and weekends. A typical assignment will require 5-6 hours.
Education: None required. Must be at least 18 years old at time of hire.
Experience in one or more of the outdoor activities offered is preferred.
• Experience bouldering including etiquette, proper spotting technique, and safety guidelines.
• Experience mountain biking including etiquette, braking techniques, and safety guidelines.
• Experience kayaking, paddleboarding, and canoeing including etiquette, technique, and safety guidelines.
Licenses and/or Certifications: Possess a valid driver license. A valid Utah Driver License must be obtained within 60 days of hire and be maintained throughout employment. CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications must be obtained within 60 days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
Lifeguard certification desired.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Basic customer service and business principles.
• Basic water safety inside and outside of watercraft.
• Bouldering and the different type of holds and stretching techniques.
• Mountain biking terminology and body positioning, bike parts and basic repairs (i.e., how to put chain back on and repair flat tires).
• Basic safety techniques for outdoor programs being taught.
• Highly motivated.
• Customer service oriented.
• Strong leadership and organizational skills.
• Flexibility/adaptability/managing multiple priorities.
• Interpersonal abilities.
• Ability to work effectively with children, parents, and colleagues in a calm, courteous, and professional manner at all times.
• Ability to resolve conflict.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position closes 05/23/2019 12:00 AM. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.