Under the direction of the Recreation Supervisor, performs various tasks as
necessary to provide recreation services to the St. George Community. Assists in developing and coordinating various programs, events, and/or facility operations. Assists with the development, interpretation, training, and enforcement of division policies and practices. Provides suggestions to improve the overall program and helps develop short range goals and plans.
1. Oversees the work of other part time employees and volunteers during assigned shifts or tasks
2. Assists in staff and volunteer training, assignments, and recruiting
3. Provide customer service in person and over the phone; answering questions and/or referring customers to appropriate staff members
4. Responds to public inquiries providing accurate information regarding recreation programs and services.
5. Aids in the promotion and advertising of programs and special events
6. Registers participants for programs, classes and activities
7. General office and clerical duties
8. Performs money-handling duties according to City and division policies and procedures.
9. Copies and prepares various brochures, flyers, schedules, rosters, etc. for distribution.
10. Organizes, cleans, prepares and maintains recreation facilities and other work areas
11. Works programs and special events taking charge of specific part(s) of assigned programs, events, or facilities.
12. Runs errands
13. Contributes to team effort by accomplishing other related duties as needed.
14. Follow all city policies and procedures
15. Provides leadership by taking charge of lead workers I, II, and III and of specific parts of an assigned program, event, or facility operation
16. Assists in providing feedback and evaluation to Recreation Coordinator and Recreation Supervisor for employees and contractors who work under their direction at events, programs, and facilities
17. Handles minor employee issues when Recreation Coordinator or Recreation Supervisor is not on duty or at that specific site and then reports back to Recreation Supervisor
18. Assists the Recreation Supervisor with planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating programs
19. Manages inventory controls and oversees the proper use, safety and security of all supplies, and makes requests to Recreation Coordinator and Recreation Supervisor for purchase of equipment needed during events, programs, and facilities
20. Takes complete charge of at least one program or special event and manages the event under the direction of the Recreation Supervisor
21. Schedules employees and/or contractors, volunteer groups, and vendors
22. Coordinates with sponsors and helps to create new partnerships
23. Assists the Recreation Supervisor in the budgetary process and assumes responsibility for cost control during events, programs or facilities.
24. Perform other duties as required
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Conditions and temperatures may vary depending on the assignment. Requires the use of vision and/or hearing to identify and evaluate emergencies. Must be able to respond quickly and appropriately to emergencies. Requires moderately heavy physical activity exerting 25-50 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently. Mental demands of intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Note: Must be available to work weekends, evenings, holidays, and other schedules to help prepare for races and special events. Hours vary depending on the event and include long hours during event weeks and short variable hours during the off season. Hours average less than 28 hours per week over a period of twelve months.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
General Knowledge of Recreation and Leisure Activities
· Highly motivated
· Customer service oriented
· Computer literate
· Working with people of all ages
· Technical skills related to the area assigned
· Interpersonal and communication skills
· Follow Directions
· Perform Physical Labor
· Be Flexible
· Work with a team
· Operate a motor vehicle safely
· Work with people of all ages
· Lead a group of people to accomplish a task
· Work independently and supervise others
· Work in a broad range of assignments with limited to no training
· Maintain a great attitude through long hours and in stressful situations
· Plan and exercise judgment in new or constantly changing problems and situations
· Show good judgment in preventing injuries and responding to recreation related injuries based on an understanding of risk management
· Establish good community relations
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, city officials, civic organizations, and the public
Plan, organize, direct, and evaluate the activities and personnel involved in recreation programs, events, classes, or facilities
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position is open until filled. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. The City of St. George is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.