Under the direction of the Recreation Supervisor, performs various tasks as
necessary to provide recreation services to the St. George Community. Assists in the implementation of races and special events.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Assists in planning and implementing programs and special events through attending meetings, and helping with race logistics as assigned for each event
2. Assists in an area at the programs and events and helps out wherever is needed
3. Follows guidelines for proper use of supplies and materials, safety, and security of all supplies
4. Provide customer service in person and over the phone; answering questions and/or referring customers to appropriate staff members.
5. Responds to public inquiries providing accurate information regarding recreation programs and services.
6. Aids in the promotion and advertising of programs and special events
7. Registers participants for programs, classes and activities
8. General office and clerical duties
9. Copies and prepares various brochures, flyers, schedules, rosters, etc. for distribution.
10. Organizes, cleans, prepares and maintains recreation facilities and other work areas
11. Works programs and special events
12. Runs errands
13. Contributes to team effort by accomplishing other related duties as needed
14. Follow all city policies and procedures
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Conditions and temperatures may vary depending on the assignment. Requires the use of vision and/or hearing to identify and evaluate emergencies. Must be able to respond quickly and appropriately to emergencies. Requires moderately heavy physical activity exerting 25-50 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently. Mental demands of intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Note: Must be available to work weekends, evenings, holidays, and other schedules to help prepare for races and special events. Hours vary depending on the event and include long hours during event weeks and short variable hours during the off season. Hours average less than 28 hours per week over a period of twelve months.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent preferred but not required. Applicants must be at least 17 years old.
Experience: Customer service experience preferred but not required.
Races and special events experience preferred.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
CPR, First Aid, AED certification required. Must be obtained within 60 days of hire and maintained throughout employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
General Knowledge of recreation and leisure activities and programming practices preferred
Knowledge of common practices in Races and Special Events
Computers and Computers Programs
• Highly motivated
• Customer service oriented
• Computer literate
• Interpersonal and communication skills
• Great attitude
• Technical skills related to the area assigned
• Follow Directions
• Perform Physical Labor
• Be Flexible
• Work with a team
• Work with people of all ages
• Maintain a great attitude through long hours and in stressful situations
• Work in a broad range of assignments with limited to no training
• Plan and exercise judgment in new or constantly changing problems and situations
• Show good judgment in preventing injuries and responding to recreation related injuries based on an understanding of risk management
• Establish good community relations
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, city officials, civic organizations, and the public
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position is open until filled. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. The City of St. George is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.