Assists City of St. George legal services with a variety of legal and administrative functions: including, data entry, preparation of legal documents, scheduling hearings and meetings, assisting public, answering telephone and correspondence, assisting civil and criminal attorneys, and the Claims Adjuster and Risk Specialist.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class).
1. Procures and reviews complaints, citations, booking sheets, police reports, and driving and criminal histories of defendants in preparation for prosecution; analyzes facts and the law; and drafts and prepares legal documents for attorney’s signature for filing with the appropriate court.
2. Answers telephone for legal department, screens calls, and helps caller or directs caller to proper area. Assists customers in the legal reception area, answering questions, taking documentation, coordinating appointments and meetings, directs customer to proper area.
3. Performs legal research and discovery for opinions, court records and government records research and redactions under the direction of various City attorneys and outside counsel using both computer and manual resources.
4. Maintains master litigation schedule and document control system. Reviews and updates cases to
determine on-going informational needs, case critical deadlines, and the tracking, tracing, and control
of case documents. Assists in keeping cases on track.
5. Assists in the strategy for document production. Transcribes, types, and drafts formal routine legal
documents under the direction of various City attorneys, including petitions, motions and supporting
memoranda, stipulations, subpoenas and notices to appear, pre and post-trial statements, and
6. Prepares and processes complex correspondence, legal papers, and documents requiring knowledge
of legal format, terminology, and procedures. Prepares legal stipulations, orders, answers to
complaints, notices, declarations, resolutions, ordinances, legal opinions, contracts, briefs, leases, and
agreements. Responds to discovery requests.
7. Maintains calendar of department activities, meetings, and various events and coordinates activities
with other City departments, the public, and outside agencies.
8. Assists criminal prosecution with preparation and processing of criminal caseload, including but not
limited to: traffic school plea in abeyances; code enforcement; new case entry and tracking of
complaints, citations, and arrests; subpoenas; discovery requests; and calendaring and disposition of
9. Assists in a variety of department operations by performing duties related to special projects,
assignments, as well as research and compilation of documentation.
10. Assist Claims Adjuster and Risk Specialist with subrogation claims, transcribing body cam footage,
reviewing arrest reports, arranging, and calendaring employee training events, and other duties as
11. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment with comfortable working conditions working with computers and office
equipment. Handling of light weights. May include sitting for extended periods of time, standing, and
walking. Considerable exposure to stressful situations as a result of human behavior, a large workload and
continually recurring deadlines. Contact with defendants, witnesses, victims, police officers, attorneys, and
the public, in person and over the telephone. Required, within strict time frames, to organize and retain
familiarity with numerous cases of varying complexity and circumstances.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Minimum of two (2) years full-time paid related legal office or administrative secretarial
experience preferred, but not required. Legal experience in a City Attorney’s office desirable. Paralegal
Licenses and/or Certifications:
• Must possess a valid Utah driver license.
• Must meet BCI operator requirements for certification within 60 days of hire and be maintained
throughout employment. A criminal background check is required for this position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
• Principles and practices used in legal secretarial work, legal forms, correspondence, and terminology.
• Principles and procedures, rules and regulations related to filing legal documents.
• Principles and processes for providing customer service.
• Modern office procedures, methods, and computer programs and equipment.
• Type at a minimum of 50 wpm (net) tested (preferred).
• Perform responsible and difficult administrative and legal assistant work using independent judgment
and personal initiative.
• Understand the organization and operation of the Legal Department and of outside agencies.
• Interpret and apply administrative and departmental policies and procedures.
• Independently prepare correspondence and memoranda.
• Maintain effective relationship with those contacted in the scope of work.
• Maintain familiarity with and knowledge of court procedures.
• Maintain familiarity with and knowledge of Government Records Access and Management Act
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Maintain schedules and draft legal documents.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position closes 12/04/2023 12:00 AM. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. The City of St. George is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.