Under the direct supervision of the Police Records Supervisor, the Records Technician Level 1 is an entry level, uniformed, civilian employee of the St. George Police Department. The primary function of the SGPD Records Unit is to perform a variety of specialized clerical and technical duties involved in processing, routing, maintaining and storing official police reports in a Records Management System (RMS). Level 1 Technicians will receive training and guidance in understanding the structure, resources, and work flow of the Police Department in general and the Records Unit’s role within the organization.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Receives, evaluates, and routes requests for department records by mail, email, fax, and phone
2. Operates computer terminal to enter, retrieve, and update law enforcement incident information in the Spillman RMS
3. Reviews, redacts, and disseminates law enforcement records in accordance with State Law and City Policy.
4. Organizes, scans, and files physical and electronic documents in a variety of physical and electronic formats and locations.
5. Receives, receipts and accurately processes payments for fees, penalties or fine payments by cash or credit/debit card.
6. Performs specialized police clerical functions including, but not limited to, processing civil violations, subpoena requests, return of service requests, case requests, electronic records routing and dissemination, and citations.
7. Assists in retrieving and compiling data in response to requests for police records utilizing information from RMS, digital archiving and other electronic or paper database storage systems in an accurate and timely manner.
8. Provides a high level of customer service for members of the Police Department, Attorney offices, Court Agencies, outside LEA agencies, military agencies, insurance agencies…etc and the general public who contact the Police Department for inquiries and requests, in person, by phone or electronic means in an efficient, accurate and timely manner
9. Maintains a high level of confidentiality and accountability as a member of the Police Department.
10. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Law Enforcement office environment dealing with external, internal, and outside agency customer service
requests (face-to-face, telephone, or otherwise). Light to medium physical effort, infrequent lifting of
weights up to 25 pounds. May include sitting or standing for extended periods while operating assigned
equipment. Considerable exposure to stress as a result of human behavior, including dealing with
unpleasant, angry, or discourteous individuals as part of the job requirements. Exposure to graphic and
potentially disturbing video, audio, and photographic materials associated with crimes of violence, lewdness,
or other criminal activities (death scenes, violent encounters involving citizens, officers, or both, etc).
Note: This position will require a complete police department background check and a voice stress analysis
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or equivalent.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• City and Police Department policies and procedures governing all police and front office related activity.
• Principles and practices used in establishing, utilizing, and maintaining files and information retrieval
• Correct English usage and spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
• Basic recordkeeping, bookkeeping, and proper cash handling procedures.
• Providing a high level of customer service and accountability.
• Bilingual ability preferred.
• Office computer skills desirable, Microsoft office, Windows operating systems and other computer
programs as required.
• Type 40 words per minute (net tested).
• Organization and filing
• Must have a strong orientation to confidentiality, accountability, detail and accuracy.
Ability to: (learn or perform)
• Efficiently and effectively use Spillman, State UCJIS computer system, and other computer programs
utilized by the City of St. George.
• Utilize and operate a personal computer, calculator, cash drawer, postage meter, copy machine, FAX,
and VOIP telephone.
• Learn Government Records Access and Management Act (G.R.A.M.A.) laws
• Perform work within established timelines with a minimal of direct supervision.
• Deal with a variety of personnel and situations within the police department as well as the public on a
• Establish and maintain effective working relations with elected City officials, department heads,
coworkers, supervisors, and other law enforcement, government, and private agencies and personnel.
• Effectively communicate with citizens, including the ability to elicit information from upset and irate
citizens to a satisfactory conclusion.
• Accurately enter police reports, other legal information and perform math calculations as required
• Research and compile data in an accurate and efficient manner.
• Exercise accurate cash handling skills and accountability.
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Communicate oral and written information clearly and concisely.
• Perform duties, exercise good judgment and make sound decisions efficiently and accurately at all times
especially during pressured and stressful situations.
• Work in a paramilitary organization which relies on policies and procedures to govern dress code and
behavior of officers and civilians, including adhering to a specific Chain of Command for accountability.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position closes 09/21/2023 05:00 PM. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. The City of St. George is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.