Under general supervision of the Dixie Center Setup Supervisor, performs a variety of maintenance, event setup, and shipping/receiving duties for the City of St. George at the Dixie Center.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Responsible for event setup for functions at the Dixie Center. Attends staff and event setup meetings, reviews setup plan sheets, and discusses and resolves potential problems.
2. Follows diagrams and sketches and coordinates the work to set up tables, chairs, booths, audio/visual equipment, electrical outlets, and special equipment or materials according to customer specifications.
3. Monitors, maintains, and cleans facilities and event sites in a safe, clean manner before, during, and after the event. Assists in cleanup and removal of equipment and secures facilities and sites after events.
4. Monitors crowd flow and directs or assists customer and public as requested
5. Operates cleaning equipment, including but not limited to, vacuums, buffers, and floor waxers.
6. Operates light equipment such as forklifts to set up events.
7. Assists general staff in maintaining security and safety of facilities, patrons, and employees through observation and patrol of grounds during events.
8. Monitors and informs Setup Supervisor of re-orders and purchases needed for inventory replenishment for Dixie Center maintenance and event setup. Recommends inventory control actions and procedures.
9. Assists with minor maintenance, repairs, and adjustments, including changing filters and light bulbs and adjusting toilets, faucets, and HVAC temperatures. Where needed, makes suggestions for repairs, alterations, changes, and improvements to the facility and for equipment to maintain the facility.
10. Assists with shipping and receiving services for operations.
11. Resolves routine problems encountered in performance of work assignment.
12. Performs other related duties as required at Dixie Center.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Moderate to strenuous physical activity. Required to push, pull, or lift up to 100 lbs. May have uncomfortable working positions such as kneeling, stooping, crouching, and bending for extended periods. Moderate exposure to elements such as heat, cold, dampness, fumes, dust, or grease. Risk of bodily injury is moderate under normal conditions. Occupational safety and health hazards may be encountered under controlled conditions. Some exposure to hazardous material such as fumes, pesticides, cleaning agents, etc. Intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior, human error, work deadlines, and the demands of multiple complex projects. Requires working extended or irregular hours such as weekends, nights, or holidays and in response to after hour emergencies.
Note: Requires working extended or irregular hours such as weekends, nights, or holidays and in response to after hour business needs. This oftentimes results in flexible schedules.
Some related experience preferred.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
• Must possess a valid driver license. A valid Utah Driver License must be obtained within sixty (60) days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
• American Red Cross CPR and First Aid certifications must be obtained within 6 months of employment and maintained throughout employment. Failure to do so may result in loss of position.
• Forklift and Scissor lift certification required within (90) days of hire and maintained throughout employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Materials, methods, procedures, and equipment used in this type of operation.
• City and division rules, policies, and procedures related to area of assignment.
• General maintenance methods and practices.
• Standard OSHA rules and regulations and OSHA MSDS standards and safe chemical handling.
• Principles and practices of supervision.
• Customer service methods and techniques.
• Recordkeeping and reporting procedures.
• Read and understand basic instructions in English.
• Work a variable shift schedule, occasionally without notice.
• Understand and effectively carry out written and oral instructions.
• Communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written form.
• Remain calm in difficult situations and maintain mental alertness and stamina to perform routine and specialized duties for long periods of time.
• Efficiently respond in a calm and effective manner to a variety of demands and projects.
• Establish work priorities and remain flexible.
• Follow diagrams and sketches for event equipment setup.
• Provide courteous information and service to the public and other City staff.
• Analyze problems and identify alternative solutions.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position closes 08/15/2022 12:00 AM. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. The City of St. George is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.