Under the direction of the City of St. George Deputy Director of Recreation Programs/Facilities, assists in developing and managing various programs and budgets, events, and/or facility operations; assists with the development, interpretation, training, and enforcement of division policies and practices; provides suggestions to improve the overall vision and mission of recreation; assists with developing short/long range goals; provides oversight and mentorship to the Youth City Council.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Assists in administrative leadership to Recreation Programs/Facilities.
2. Coordinates requests from Department Director to Deputy Director, ensuring materials are obtained and provided for review prior to submission.
3. Prepares marketing documents and public relation items for distribution to the community. Develops presentations and assists with the development of Divisions' long term / short term goals.
4. Performs research development in relation to recreation programming.
5. Assist with recruitment, training, and organizing volunteers.
6. Assists the Deputy Director Recreation/Facilities with planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating programs and helps to maintain relationships with program contractors.
7. Assisting in Collaborating with local businesses and Educational Institutions, Coordinates with sponsors and helps to create new partnerships.
8. Assists with the organization of the division's annual budget through the use of spreadsheet software; assists in the preparation of the proposed division annual budget.
9. Assists in handling duties, and implements city policies and procedures on proper money handling.
10. Assists with organization and production of City events including the St. George Marathon, Art Festival, etc. as requested by Administration.
11. Creates reports regarding budget, operations, policies, and procedures.
12. Organizes and provides monthly analyses of the Division budget.
13. Maintains database regarding Division employees’ certifications; notifies coordinators when individual employees within their area of responsibility have safety certifications that need renewal.
14. Prepares presentations, using communication tools and distributing appropriate materials to Division staff.
15. Maintains Division activities calendar, makes travel reservations, and arranges conferences and meetings.
16. Performs other related duties as required.
17. Acts as the Youth City Council Advisor
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Conditions and temperatures may vary depending on the assignment. Requires the use of vision and/or hearing to identify and evaluate emergencies. Must be able to respond quickly and appropriately to emergencies. Requires moderately heavy physical activity exerting 25-50 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently. Mental demands of intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Note: Must be available to work weekends, evenings, holidays, and scheduled events to help prepare for recreation offerings. This is a part-time position with variable hours averaging less than 28 hours per week over a period of twelve months.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Preference given to those with education in recreation or a related field.
● Minimum of one year experience working in recreation programs and special events for the City of St. George, or a similar organization, showing adequate knowledge and skill in assigned tasks
● Minimum of one year experience using Sportsman SQL, or similar registration management software platform, showing adequate knowledge and skill in assigned tasks preferred
● Customer service experience preferred
● Cash handling experience preferred
Licenses and/or Certifications:
● Must possess a valid driver license. A valid Utah Driver License must be obtained within 60 days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
● CPR, First Aid, AED certification required. Must be obtained within 60 days of hire and maintained throughout employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
● Recreation and Leisure Activities and Programming Practices preferred
● Facilities’ rules and regulations.
● Facilities’ Emergency Action Plan.
● Using Spreadsheets, Word Documents, and G Suite.
● Highly motivated
● Customer service oriented
● Computer literate
● Work with limited oversight and direction
● Plan, organize, direct, and evaluate the activities and personnel involved in recreation programs, events, classes, or facilities.
● Plan and exercise judgment concerning new or constantly changing problems and situations.
● Show good judgment in preventing injuries and responding to recreation related injuries based on an understanding of risk management.
● Learn specific industry terms and understand their applications and usage.
● Remain flexible and work well under pressure in an environment with changing priorities.
● Establish and maintain effective working relations with elected officials, administrators, co-workers, the public, and officials and employees of other jurisdictions.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position is open until filled. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. The City of St. George is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.