The City of St. George Leisure Services Department operates a Thunder Junction Train and Carousel. Under the direction of a supervisor or assistant manager, the Ride Operator is responsible for the effective and safe daily operation of rides in accordance with best practices and City policies. Performs light maintenance work, sells ride tokens, and provides high-quality customer service.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Loads and unloads riders.
2. Operates ride controls.
3. Communicates safety rules and procedures to riders. Ensures the safety of all riders and spectators during the ride operation. Enforces facility rules. Ensures that manufacturer safety requirements are being followed during the ride operation.
4. Performs basic cleaning and maintenance.
5. Informs supervisor of maintenance needs.
6. Walks and inspects the equipment daily.
7. Fills out daily, weekly, and monthly ride checklists and other paperwork.
8. Ensures that all the communication tools function properly for the assigned ride.
9. Assist in opening and closing the facility.
10. Handles money according to City policy.
11. Sells, distributes, and collects ride tokens.
12. Provides assistance to patrons entering and exiting the ride.
13. Operates music equipment when needed.
14. Stays current with safety rules and procedures.
15. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Conditions and temperatures may vary depending on the assignment. Requires the use of vision and/or hearing to identify and evaluate emergencies. Must be able to respond quickly and appropriately to emergencies. Requires moderately heavy physical activity exerting 20-50 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently. Mental demands of intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Note: Must be available to work weekends, evenings, holidays, and other schedules to accommodate the seasonal operational schedule. This is a part-time position with variable hours averaging less than 28 hours per week over a period of 12 months.
None required. All applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
Experience working with youth and adults in a recreational setting preferred.
Experience handling money is preferred.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
Must possess a valid driver license. A valid Utah Driver License must be obtained within sixty (60) days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
Must obtain First Aid, CPR, and AED certifications within sixty (60) days of hire which must be maintained
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
● Highly motivated.
● Customer service oriented with excellent public relations skills.
● Be able to communicate clearly both verbally and written.
● Computer literate.
● Operate a cash register, make change, and conduct financial transactions.
● Operate ride attraction equipment
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position is open until filled. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. The City of St. George is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.