Parks Maintenance Worker II - Weekends Starting Salary Range: 26 ($28,067/year)
Individuals hired in this position have the opportunity to progress up to $42,101/year, which is the maximum salary for this position as of December 2019.
Provides specialized care of the parks, right-of-ways, and building grounds for the City of St. George.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Patrols assigned parks, trails, recreation areas, and facilities performing maintenance and repairs to assure proper functioning of equipment.
2. Maintains, cleans, repairs, and paints pavilions, playgrounds, restrooms, picnic tables, barbeques, and other park features.
3. Irrigates, mows, and plants turf. Plants and prunes trees, shrubs, and flowers.
4. Repairs broken water lines or valves.
5. Operates single and dual transmission trucks (including 10-wheel dump trucks), tractors, gang mowers, rotary mowers, backhoe, grader, fork lift, front end loader, trencher, lift truck, water truck, and other power equipment incidental to job.
6. Applies fertilizers, pesticides, and insecticides to turf, trees, shrubs, and flowers.
7. Supervises seasonal employees as directed.
8. Provides training and orientation for new employees as directed.
9. Performs preventative maintenance and checks on power equipment used.
10. Assists with set up and take down for special events, such as the St. George Marathon.
11. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Outdoor work with exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy conditions caused by the weather. Moderate physical activity exerting up to 20-50 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently. Uncomfortable working positions such as stooping, crouching, and bending. Exposure to elements such as heat, cold, dampness, fumes, noise, dust, or grease. Risk of bodily injury is moderate under normal conditions. May have disagreeable elements such as appearance of work place, poor ventilation, or uneven temperatures. Occupational safety and health hazards may be encountered under controlled conditions. Some exposure to hazardous materials such as fumes, pesticides, cleaning agents, etc. and to high levels of noise. Exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Note: Requires working extended or irregular hours such as weekends, nights, and holidays.
Experience: Minimum of two (2) years full time paid experience in grounds maintenance or general maintenance work. Experience in small engine repair and basic construction techniques preferred.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
• Possess a valid driver license. A valid Utah Driver License must be obtained within 60 days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
• Possess or obtain within six (6) months of hire and maintain throughout employment a valid Utah State Non-Commercial Pesticide Application license or ASSTA Flagger and Traffic Control Technician certification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Tools, equipment, and techniques used in maintenance, repair, and/or construction of landscapes, irrigation systems, and hardscapes which may include basic construction projects.
• Standard safety precautions.
• Small engine (gas and electric) repair preferred.
• Work with minimum supervision, and understand and follow general work instructions.
• Perform outdoor manual labor for extended periods of time.
• Operate equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position closes 09/30/2021 12:00 AM. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. The City of St. George is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.