Under the general supervision of Streets Division Crew Supervisors, drives and operates a variety of mobile or stationary construction and maintenance equipment in support of streets maintenance programs for the City of St. George. This is skilled work in light equipment operation and requires minor routine maintenance of related equipment.
Essential Functions: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Places signs, barricades, and traffic control devices around work sites to protect employees and the public.
2. Excavates trenches installing shoring as needed, tests for hazardous soil conditions and atmospheres, and detects hazardous atmospheres and corrects before confined space entry. Follows all City and divisional safety policies and procedures.
3. May operate any of the following pieces of construction equipment: loader, backhoe, Skid Steer, roller, perform minor maintenance on assigned equipment.
4. Operates equipment for projects such as excavating, backfilling trenches, rolling of chip-seal material, cleaning storm drains, Curb and gutters 5. May assist in the loading and unloading of trucks, laying pipe in trenches, pouring and finishing concrete, using air jack hammers to break out concrete and asphalt, and other types of general physical labor.
5. Keeps daily records and prepares daily reports estimating equipment time and material usage and justifying requests for equipment and materials.
6. Performs routine maintenance or emergency repairs as assigned.
7. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Very heavy physical activity exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Physical demands include climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling. May have to stand, walk, or sit in uncomfortable positions for extended periods. Exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy conditions caused by weather. Exposure to constant to intermittent sounds of a pitch or level sufficient to cause marked distraction or possible hearing loss; shaking objects or surfaces; and conditions such as fumes, noxious odors, dusts, mists, gases, and poor ventilation that affect the respiratory system, eyes, or the skin. Intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Note: Persons in this classification may be required to work unconventional work hours or shifts during emergency situations. Must be available for on-call rotation and be able to respond within fifteen minutes.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Thorough understanding of laws governing operation of motor vehicles.
Experience with concrete/asphalt finishing preferable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· General rules of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) construction standards, including trenching and confined space safety.
· EPA requirements such as the disposal of toxic materials, i.e., fuels, road oils, chemical solvents, etc.
· Knowledge of basic math and algebra.
· Get commercial driver’s license class A within 1 year.
· Get Flagging and Work zone certifications within 1 year.
· Get one level I equipment certification on either Backhoe, loader or skid steer within 1 year.
· Operate a variety of light equipment in the prescribed manner.
· Detect malfunctions and needed repairs.
· Make necessary simple adjustments to equipment.
· Work in inclement weather.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position is open until filled. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. The City of St. George is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.