Under supervision of the Purchasing Manager, assists in the procurement process for all goods and services for the City of St. George.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Reviews monthly statements from vendors and reconciles any outstanding items.
2. Assists departments in obtaining quotes and completing any required documentation in the procurement process.
3. Assists in preparing financial reports as they relate to procurement.
4. Creates purchase orders based on department requisitions.
5. Assists the Purchasing Manager with the formal bid process as defined in the City Ordinances.
6. Organizes and manages the receipt of approved invoices and prepares them for accounts payable.
7. Works closely with all departments and vendors to reconcile invoices.
8. Educates city employees and vendors on the procurement process.
9. Assists departments in any way to ensure all goods and services have been properly delivered and paid for.
10. Creates and maintains vendor profile in the City’s accounting system.
11. Operates standard office machines and equipment incidental to clerical work.
12. Assist in the Purchasing Card program.
13. Assists in updating and maintaining City accounts with various vendors.
14. Reconciles vehicle mileage and checks in/out Motor Pool vehicles.
15. Assists departments with the removal of any surplus.
16. Assist with City reception desk, answering phones, and directing calls.
17. Cross trained in Accounts Payable Clerk position to provide backup support.
18. Opens, sorts, and electronically scans incoming department mail.
19. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Office environment. Light physical effort with infrequent lifting of light weights up to 15 pounds. May have to sit or stand for extended periods while operating assigned equipment. Intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent, college courses in accounting preferred.
Experience: Minimum of one (1) year full time paid experience as a buyer or purchasing agent desired. Or Minimum of two (2) years full time paid work experience in bookkeeping, accounting, accounts payable/receivable, purchasing, or related field.
Licenses and/or Certifications: Must possess a valid driver license. A valid Utah driver license must be obtained within 60 days of hire and maintained throughout employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• City’s Procurement Ordinance and various internal financial policies, including, but not limited to: Purchase Card Program, Motor Pool, and Travel Policy.
• City procedures governing payment of vouchers and invoices, and basic procedures of bookkeeping, purchasing, and recordkeeping.
• Basic accounting and finance terminology and processes.
• Current applicable computers and various software applications including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google (Gmail, Drive).
• Communicate effectively with vendors and employees, maintain working relationships with those contacted in course of work, and understand and follow oral and written instruction.
• Maintain accurate tracking and filing systems.
• Be well organized and a self-starter.
• Operate standard office equipment, including computer terminal, 10-key, typewriter, photocopier, scanner, etc.
• Work independently and with a team in a fast-paced and high-volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness.
• Work remote on a partial, temporary, or permanent basis as necessary.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position closes 06/11/2021 05:00 PM. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. The City of St. George is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.