Laboratory Technician I Starting Salary: 41 ($40,650/year)
Individuals hired in this position have the opportunity to progress up to $60,974/year, which is the maximum salary for this position as of December 2020.
Laboratory Technician II Starting Salary: 43 ($42,708/year)
Individuals hired in this position have the opportunity to progress up to $64,062/year, which is the maximum salary for this position as of December 2020.
Under the direction of the Laboratory Analyst, performs the daily operation of the lab sampling and analysis for the City of St. George. This is technical work requiring knowledge of lab procedures that conform to regulatory standards.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Performs tests for wastewater, drinking water, pretreatment, reclaimed water, and sludge management. Assists in preparing studies and reports.
2. Prepares reagents and media and lab equipment and apparatus according to standard lab techniques for methods as specified per position.
3. Calibrates lab equipment, keeps appropriate charts and records, and performs preventative maintenance on equipment.
4. Assists in pretreatment and treatment programs as requested in sample collection, testing, and inspections.
5. Develops process control data, prepares daily reports, and reviews test results.
6. Collects and prepares wastewater samples from inflow, outflow, and oxidation ditches.
7. Performs office functions such as answering telephones and inputting data into computer.
8. Maintains laboratory cleanliness.
9. Responsible for general housekeeping of lab and labware.
10. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Laboratory environment. Moderate physical activity. Required to push, pull, or lift weights up to 50 pounds. May have uncomfortable working positions such as stooping, crouching, bending, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time. Risk of bodily injury is moderate under normal safety conditions. Occupational safety and health hazards are encountered under controlled conditions. Exposure to very disagreeable odors on occasion. Possibility exists for exposure to bacteriological and chemical hazards. Intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Note: Persons in this position must be able to work rotating weekends and holidays.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Prefer associate degree in chemistry, biology, ecology, physical science, or closely related field OR lab experience.
Lab Technician I: Must be able to complete a Demonstration of Capability (DOC) for each of the following test methods within six (6) months of hire: TSS, VSS, 30’ settleometer, pH, Turbidity, Conductivity, BOD, P/A, Quanti-Tray.
Lab Technician II: Meet requirements of Lab Technician I plus complete a Demonstration of Capability (DOC) for each of the following more complex test methods: COD, TDS, Alkalinity, TS%.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Standard laboratory procedures and sampling techniques.
• Chemical methods and standard operating procedures for chemicals, MSDS, and hazardous material disposal techniques.
• Basic record and housekeeping procedures preferred.
• Basic computer and spreadsheet skills preferred.
• Perform skilled activities in the calibration and maintenance of various kinds of lab equipment and labware.
• Perform basic sampling and testing of wide range of materials and media.
• Understand and interpret standard operating procedures.
• Analyze samples.
• Perform math calculations accurately.
• Recognize trends.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions promptly and accurately.
• Perform the job within safe work practice standards.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, coworkers, subordinates and the general public.
• Operate assigned lab equipment.
• Maintain effective audio-visual discriminations and perception needed to observe and perform required tests and operate equipment.
• Work rotating weekends and holidays.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position closes 02/24/2021 12:00 AM. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. The City of St. George is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.