Under the direction of the City of St. George Recreation Assistant Manager, the head clerk will oversee shift work of the part-time Recreation Clerks; oversees facility operations; and performs other functions such as coordinating summer camps or special events held at the recreation center.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics.The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Oversees work of part-time Recreation Clerk employees by providing direction on work duties, use of time and adherence to City and Recreation Center policies and procedures.
2. Demonstrates exceptional understanding and initiative in basic Recreation Clerk responsibilities.
3. Attends all staff meetings and participates in the planning of these staff meetings.
4. Opens and closes cash tills by following City cash handling procedures.
5. Leads summer camps, special events and ensures events are delivered efficiently by providing leadership, motivation, direction and support.
6. Enforces facility rules and regulations and notifies facility management of recurring and/or serious infractions.
7. Completes required records and reports and submits them to facility management.
8. Inspects the facility, equipment and grounds and coordinates with the appropriate entity to resolve any issues.
9. Assists with Recreation Clerk duties.
10. Assists with the training of Recreation Clerks.
11. Assists in the scheduling of programs and events, making reservations and coordinating between staff, contractors, instructors and other businesses.
12. Perform other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Conditions and temperatures may vary depending on the assignment. Requires the use of vision and/or hearing to identify and evaluate emergencies. Must be able to respond quickly and appropriately to emergencies. Requires moderately heavy physical activity exerting 50-75 pounds of force occasionally and/or 5-50 pounds of force frequently. Mental demands of intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Note: Must be available to work a minimum of 2 shifts, preferred 3-4 per week including weekends, evenings, holidays, and other schedules to help prepare for recreation offerings. This is a part-time position with variable hours averaging 28 or less hours per week over a period of twelve months.
Minimum Age: All applicants must be at least 18 years old.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Preference given to those with education in recreation or a related field.
● Experience working with youth and adults in a recreational setting.
● Experience working in customer service and cash handling.
● Experience working at the St. George Recreation Center for a minimum of 3 months OR a combination of experience at the St. George Recreation Center and another Recreation/Community Center for a minimum of 6 months. Preferred at least 1 year of recreation experience.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
● Must be trained in CPR, and AED within 60 days of hire which must be maintained throughout employment.
● Must possess a valid driver license. A valid Utah Driver License must be obtained within 60 days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
● Recreation Center operations, rules, and regulations.
● Computers and computer programs.
● Knowledge of all the exercise equipment at the rec center.
● Proficient in Sportsman recreation management software.
● Working with people of all ages on a continuing basis.
● Interpersonal and communication skills.
● Maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
● Demonstrate a strong sense of awareness,self motivation and time management in their own responsibilities as well as those they supervise.
● Report and discuss all safety, facility and staff issues with supervisor.
● Ensure part-time employees comply with appropriate customer service and time management practices.
● Work on special projects as assigned by the Recreation Assistant Manager.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position closes 11/22/2020 05:00 PM. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.