Under the direction of the City of St. George Recreation Supervisor(s), assists in the planning and implementation of youth programs and special events for the City of St. George including but not limited to various summer camps and programs, youth sport related activities, races and special events.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Works directly with Recreation Supervisor(s) and/or Recreation Specialists
2. Helps recruit, train, and organize volunteers.
3. Assists in planning and implementing programs and special events
4. Assists in the preparation of activities, programs and events.
5. Supervises youth age 3-18 years of age
6. Coordinates and interacts with sponsors and community partners
7. Oversees proper use of supplies and materials, safety, and security of all supplies, and makes requests to the Recreation Supervisor(s) and/or Recreation Specialist for purchase of supplies/equipment needed.
8. Accounts for registration and funds received
9. Creates accurate records of participation information and revenue received
10. Reports information to Recreation Supervisor(s) and/or Recreation Specialist
11. Aids in the promotion and advertising of programs and special events and ensures that the mission and program policy are known to all participants.
12. Follows all city policies and procedures
13. Provides leadership by taking charge of specific parts of an assigned program, event, or facility operation.
14. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Conditions vary depending on the assignment. May work both indoor and outdoor during recreation events in varied temperatures and weather conditions. Requires the use of vision and/or hearing to identify and evaluate emergencies, and must be able to respond to these emergencies quickly and appropriately. Moderately heavy physical activity exerting up to 20-50 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently. Moderate exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Note: Special Events: Must be available to work weeknights and weekends to help prepare for races and special events. Weekend hours vary depending on event and include long hours during event weeks and short variable hours during the off season. Youth Programs: Must be available to be on site during programs, typically weekday afternoons during August-May. Summer program hours vary throughout the week.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Degree in recreation or related field or some secondary education toward such a degree preferred.
Experience: Recreation and supervisory related experience preferred.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
• CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications must be obtained within sixty (60) days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
• Must possess a valid driver license. A valid Utah Driver License must be obtained within 60 days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Program common practices.
• Computers and computer programs.
• Skills in working with people of all ages.
• Technical skills related to the area assigned.
• Interpersonal and communication skills.
• Work in a broad range of assignments with limited to no training.
• Plan, organize, direct, and evaluate the activities and personnel involved in recreation programs, events, classes, or facilities.
• Plan and exercise judgment in new or constantly changing problems and situations.
• Show good judgment in preventing injuries and responding to recreation related injuries based on an understanding of risk management.
• Establish good community relations.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, city officials, civic organizations, and the public.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position closes 06/19/2020 12:00 AM. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.