Under the direction of the Golf Course Superintendent, inspects, maintains, and repairs for the City of St. George specialized golf course maintenance equipment which includes two- and four-cycle engines and diesel, hydraulic, and electrical systems.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Schedules and performs daily, weekly, monthly, maintenance such as cleans and oils, sharpens mower blades, and checks fluid levels in equipment.
2. Performs skilled mechanical work in repair, maintenance, and overhaul of hydraulics, gasoline, diesel, and electric powered engines in mowers, specialized golf vehicles, equipment, carts, and hand powered tools.
3. Diagnoses equipment malfunctions to determine materials required and most economical cost of repairs, removes parts beyond repair, and replaces with new or used parts as necessary using hand and power tools.
4. Maintains records of repairs, time, parts ordered, and maintenance work on engines and equipment; maintains inventory of parts and components; and uses computer to track equipment repair history.
5. Maintains mower blades using bed-knife and reel grinders and back lap mowers as needed.
6. Performs general maintenance on golf course building and grounds as needed.
7. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Moderately heavy physical activity. Required to push, pull, or lift medium heavy weights. Moderate exposure to disagreeable elements such as heat, cold, dampness, noise, dust, or grease. Must be able to work complete shift standing or in difficult working positions, and be able to withstand exposure to fumes, dust, and grease. Intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Minimum of one (1) year full time experience in repair and maintenance of gas and diesel powered engines, hydraulics, and electrical equipment preferred. Golf Course experience preferred.
Licenses and/or Certifications: Must possess a valid driver license. A valid Utah Driver License must be obtained within 60 days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Standard practices and ability to efficiently operate equipment and tools of the mechanic and welding trades.
• Diagnose and correct defects in a large variety of golf maintenance vehicles and equipment, such as electronic fuel injection and hydraulic systems.
• Use bed-knife and reel grinders, and apply the correct application of back-lapping.
• Read and understand schematic drawings, maintenance, and safety manuals.
• Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relations with supervisor, co-workers, and the public.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position closes 12/05/2019 12:00 AM. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.