Wastewater Plant Operator I Starting Salary: 30 ($30,981/year)
Individuals hired in this position have the opportunity to progress up to $46,471/year, which is the maximum salary for this position as of January 2019.
Wastewater Plant Operator II Starting Salary: 38 ($37,747/year)
Individuals hired in this position have the opportunity to progress up to $56,621/year, which is the maximum salary for this position as of January 2019.
Wastewater Plant Operator III Starting Salary: 39 ($38,691/year)
Individuals hired in this position have the opportunity to progress up to $58,037/year, which is the maximum salary for this position as of January 2019.
Under close supervision of the Wastewater Plant Superintendent or Wastewater Plant Operator IV, performs semi-skilled to skilled work for the City of St. George in the maintenance of the wastewater treatment plant in accordance with state and federal regulations.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Assists with installing and removing equipment, repairing broken parts, and performing preventive maintenance. Makes minor repairs and may complete work orders independently as assigned requiring some mechanical and electrical skills.
2. Operates equipment and hand and power tools. Performs preparation and cleanup tasks.
3. Uses heavy equipment, including trucks and loaders. Transports bio-solids and other materials to the county landfill.
4. Operates wastewater treatment plant equipment, including pump motors, valves, and mixers according to standard operating procedures and under supervision. Observes control panels, takes readings, and records data. Performs routine plant sampling.
5. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Work in wastewater treatment plant environment. Moderately heavy physical activity exerting up to 50-100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 20-50 pounds of force frequently. Required to stand, walk, or sit uncomfortably for extended periods. Push, pull, or lift medium heavy weights. Exposure to confined spaces, high-voltage equipment, dust, grease, heat, cold, dampness, extremely disagreeable odors, noise, heights, unknown levels of pathogenic bacteria, and other environmental aspects which may be considered unfavorable or disagreeable. Significant potential exists for exposure to hazardous chemical and gases. Must follow prescribed safety and hygienic procedures. Intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
• Shift work and call back may be required in this classification.
• Employees receive up-to-date shots for working in a wastewater environment.
• Work rotating shifts including weekends and holidays.
• Persons in this classification may be required to work unconventional work hours or shifts during emergency situations. Must be available for on-call rotation and be able to respond within thirty (30) minutes.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Experience related to duties listed for this position is preferred.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
• Possess a valid driver license. A valid Utah Driver License must be obtained within 60 days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
• Must possess or obtain a valid Utah Commercial Driver License (CDL) learner permit with tanker endorsement within 30 days of hire, and must possess or obtain a valid Utah Class A Commercial Driver License (CDL) Tractor/Trailer (standard transmission) with tanker endorsement within two (2) months of hire.
• State of Utah Wastewater Works Operator Certification:
Operator I - Must take and pass the Class I certification examination within two (2) consecutive examinations; remains on probation until certified.
Operator II - Career progression; moves to Operator II when the City is notified that the employee has taken and passed the Class II certification examination.
Operator III - Career progression; moves to Operator III when the City is notified that the employee has taken and passed the Class III certification examination.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Methods, tools, and materials used in general maintenance and repair work.
• Basic mathematics, chemistry, and biology as related to water treatment.
• Pumps, motors, and related machinery.
• Maintain annual respirator certification through annual refresher training and annual physical examination per Occupational Safety and Health Administration standards.
• Wear personal protective equipment (PPE) such as gloves, goggles, face shield, water-resistant suit, or respirator per OSHA standards and depending on the job.
• Pass examinations to certify employee is capable of working in a wastewater treatment plant.
• Maintain required continuing education units (CEUs).
• Understand, write and follow written and oral instructions, and establish effective working relationships with those contacted in scope of work.
• Operate various hand and power tools, and learn plant layout and processes by manual or computerized control.
• Perform math calculations, sampling, and process control techniques.
• Complete simple reports.
• Learn and follow plant safety procedures.
• Read and write in English at a business level.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position closes 07/14/2019 05:00 PM. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.