Performs complex technical duties for the City of St. George in the enforcement of construction through the review and approval of construction documents and blueprints to ensure public safety and health.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Reviews and approves residential and commercial building plans for construction within the city to ensure compliance with plumbing, mechanical, electrical, and general building codes.
2. Calculates building valuation, building permit fees, and impact fees.
3. Reviews building plans with inspectors to familiarize inspectors with specific projects.
4. Reviews and approves specifications and structural calculations for building plans.
5. May, on request of Fire or Utility Departments, inspect for damaged systems or structures to ensure safety for occupants.
6. Answers questions of other city departments regarding building codes.
7. Meets with and assists the general public, homeowners and contractors with questions and concerns and provides solutions where appropriate.
8. Reviews and approves changes to plans.
9. Inspects residential and commercial buildings or structures under construction for compliance with appropriate codes.
10. Reviews and approves buildings for compliance with the model energy code.
11. Writes reports and memos and keeps records using applicable software programs.
12. Provides training for Building Inspectors.
13. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Great mental effort is required daily. Moderate mental pressure and fatigue exist during a normal workday due to constant exposure to deadlines, interpersonal contacts, impacts of decisions and code interpretations, and attention to detail in reading plans. Frequent overtime. Exposure to construction site hazards.
Education: Graduation from high school.
Experience: Minimum of five (5) years full time related work experience with at least 3 (three) years of progressive commercial plans review experience. May substitute an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
• Must possess a valid driver license. A valid Utah Driver License must be obtained within 60 days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
• Residential and Commercial certification from ICC in the following: Building Inspector, Electrical Inspector, Plumbing Inspector, Mechanical Inspector, and Plans Examiner. All certifications and state licensing must be kept current. Failure to do so may result in loss of position.
• Licensed as a Combination Inspector by the State of Utah.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• ICC Building Codes, including the areas of plumbing, mechanical, electrical, and general construction.
• All types of building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical systems to include familiarity with conventional methods and materials used.
• Principles of construction.
• Basic planning and zoning principles.
• Correct English usage, spelling, and grammar.
• Well-developed sense of strategy and timing.
• Math as it pertains to calculation of loads, spans, capacities, areas, etc.
• Read and understand blueprints and plans.
• Professionally furnish and obtain information from other departments.
• Deal with constant contact with the public presenting data that may influence important decisions.
• Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relations with elected officials, department heads, subordinates, the public, and officials and employees of other jurisdictions.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position closes 08/27/2019 12:00 AM. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.