Under the direction of the Tennis & Pickleball Head Pro, Recreation Manager, and City of St. George train, and hire tennis/pickleball instructors and professionals and teach intermediate and advanced tennis clinics, providing private lessons and promoting tennis and pickleball.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Teaches the intermediate and advanced private lessons. Also teaches programs for all ages including junior, adults, seniors and specialty classes.
2. Assists in the recruitment, training and supervision of staff under the direction of the Head Tennis & Pickleball Pro.
3. Promotes, markets and sells private and semi-private lessons and the City’sTennis and Pickleball programs.
4. Develops new programs with the approval and assistance of the Head Pro.
5. Monitors the tennis and pickleball facilities to ensure that the facilities are kept in top condition, resolving minor maintenance issues and reporting facility maintenance issues to the Head Pro.
6. Resolves conflicts with the public in such a manner as to protect the rights of the City while encouraging the use of the facility by all interested citizens.
7. Keeps Head Pro abreast of any concerns related to staff, programs, drop in play, and equipment.
8. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Conditions and temperatures may vary. Requires the use of vision and/or hearing to identify and evaluate emergencies. Must be able to physically respond quickly and appropriately to emergencies. Requires moderately heavy physical activity exerting 20-50 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently. Mental demands of intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Note: Individuals in this position must be able to work nights and weekends. A typical weekday assignment will require 3-10 hours.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent
• Minimum of 2 years tennis playing experience. Preferred High School or College tennis and a skill level of 3.5 or higher, OR for Pickleball, minimum of 2 years pickleball playing experience and a skill level of 3.5 or higher.
License and/or Certifications:
• CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications must be obtained within 60 days of hire and maintained throughout employment.
• Must obtain a valid Utah State Driver’s license within 60 days of being hired.
• Must be a USPTA, PPR, or PTR certified Professional.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Be a good self-starter.
• Teach all lessons at Tonaquint, including private, group, junior and adults.
• Work the schedule provided by the Head Tennis and Pickleball pro.
• Be a team player and help others on staff.
• Bring issues or concerns regarding players or parents to the Head Pro.
• Work 22 to 28 hours a week.
• Work camps and tournaments.
• Teach both Tennis and Pickleball.
• Teach Tennis and Pickleball beginner, intermediate and advance players.
• Follow the class syllabus for 10 and Under, JD, and ATP classes.
• USTA and USAPA sanctions, rules and regulations.
• Current industry teaching development and incorporates them into division teaching standards.
• Understands that that all private and group Tennis and Pickleball lessons taught within Washington County will be taught under the direction of the City of St. George.
• Proven teaching ability with adults, seniors and juniors.
• Highly motivated with excellent customer service skills.
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This Position closes 04/01/2019 12:00 AM. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.